I would like to think that there is always one point when you get really homesick while being abroad. For me, that moment is occurring right now.
First things first, I am an animal lover. Every time I see a dog or cat here, I try to talk to it and then take a picture. It's just what I do– I inherit that trait from my mom. So you can imagine my devastation when this this happened...
Yesterday, I was talking to my Appalachian friends, Emily and Tatianna. (They are living in my house and taking care of my cats, Mali and Taz, while I am gone.) Next thing I know, Emily says that Mali is missing and has been missing for three days. This is too unusual for Mali; she doesn't stay away for that long.
I feel so helpless that I cannot be there to find Mali. My biggest fear when I left the United States was to not see my cats again. I want to blame myself for her disappearance because I couldn't communicate to her that I was coming back for her. Overall, I am feeling a little trapped.
My first thought is to get a ticket home just so I can look for my cat, but I know that she will be in good hands. Emily and Tati are desperately searching for her, putting signs up in the neighborhood.
My one main regret was that I did not say a proper goodbye to my cats. Honestly, I couldn't say goodbye or else I would not have left Boone. But, if Mali doesn't turn up, then I guess that's just a part of life. I know that I need to appreciate the times I had with her and to not stress about the time I do not have, because I would not have been able to see her in Hungary anyway.
Who knows?– maybe she's with a better family.
Maybe she is being fed copious amounts wherever she is.
Maybe she's on an adventure of a lifetime just like me.
Maybe she will return to us, much wiser and much fatter.
I know that she doesn't have to be my cat to thrive.
And I know in my heart that she is thriving.
Disclaimer: I just like the quote, source unknown to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment