Saturday, June 15, 2013

Meet the Family

Sziasztok!

It has been a little under 4 weeks since my arrival in Szeged. I figure since I haven’t blogged about anything, it’s time I should do so.  There were times when I sat down to write my blog and then all the excuses came: the internet was down, I didn't have enough time.  But, enough with the excuses...  I really don’t know where to start, and writing isn’t my strength; still, here it goes. Taking the plunge.

First, I would like to introduce you to my welcome party–the people who kindly invited me to speed into their lives!!

Andor:  my AIESEC receptionist! J  He picked me up from the airport and was so patient during my sleep-deprived slurring when we were on the train to Szeged from Budapest.  He is studying in the medical school at University of Szeged, so he is focusing on finals right now.  He doesn’t have much time to hang out because of that, but our second meeting was when I bumped into him during one of my nightly walks!  I was worried about how safe the area was, so he walked with me for the rest of my little exploration.  Funny thing–we crossed the bridge from Szeged into New Szeged, and I swear there is a building there that came right out of a Silent Hill video game.  It looks like an abandoned club, sketchy and scary.  Glad I wasn’t walking alone. :P

 


My "Running Into Andor" face.


Creepy abandoned disco–went back for a photo during the day.


Lajos (“Lali”):  current VP ICX of AIESEC Szeged.  He goes to school in Szeged, but his parents live in Kecskemet.  He spent a majority of his time in his hometown before this week.  I took a trip out to Kecskemet for a “house party” as Lali called it– it was six of Lali’s good friends that he met in high school (…I think), all hanging out, sharing music, and dominating at foosball.   I had one too many a beer because my foosball skills suuuucked.  Lali and I were so close to winning the second match we played and then I completely bombed. (Seth Hooper, Will Stephenson, and Riley Stephenson: hear my plea and help me!!!)  When the sun came up, Lali and I walked around to see the town.  I don’t know how he put up with me because I would run after every neighborhood dog, saying “Kutya, kutya!!! Let me pet you!”   Most of the dogs were cool with it.  But my best friend for the trip was Lali’s “cica” (kitty).  This night was probably one of my favorites in Hungary so far; everyone (including the animals!!) were so friendly and inviting. 



So photogenic, I know.


Zsike:  my trainee buddy.  We met once for dinner and her roommate tagged along.  Zsike has a bunny and her favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother.  She recently had ankle surgery so it stops her from coming into Szeged.  She lives in Kiskunhalas with her parents, which is about an hour away from Szeged. 


(Photo to come soon)


Mónika: my host mom.  She doesn’t speak English, so it was really difficult for us to communicate in the beginning.   I have definitely picked up a lot of Hungarian just by speaking with her, because almost everyone else tries to speak English with me.  Mónika always talks to me in Hungarian and I respond to her in English.  We can understand each other well now (or maybe I’m just delusional).  All I know is that I have cried from laughing so hard during one-on-one chats with her.



Oh, and her hair is also boss –



Lazlo: my host father.  He smiles often and always makes me feel so welcome.   Also a non-English speaker.  I haven’t gotten to know him well because he was in Uzbekistan for a business trip when I arrived.  He brought back Uzbek wine and told me to try some.  It was delicious. 





Jenni: my 23 year old host sister.   During my first week, she went with me to pubs, clubs, and the Szeged-famous wine festival.  She has a 2 ½ year old son named Bennet and lives in the same house as us with her boyfriend.   She is the person I am closest to in the house.  She is almost always willing to go for walks with me; and she’s my beer buddy. :D




Szurász: Jenni’s boyfriend.  When Szurász and Jenni are together, they become a hilarious tag-team.  When Jenni does not understand a word I am saying or if she does not know how to say a word in English, she turns to Szurász and he helps her (and vice versa).  I really like him because he’s very friendly.  He always jumps up to offer me a ride–most times I tell him I will walk.  He is taking care of Bennet quite often, especially when Jenni and I walk around town or when we go grab a beer.  



Danka: my 21 year old host sister.  She attends an Economics university in Budapest.  She just adopted a new puppy named Molly–SO CUTE.  Danka’s English is very good.  I stayed with her for one night after I arrived back in Hungary from Italy. 



Benji:  my 17 year old host brother.  Benji is MIA quite often.  He is in high school and currently has a girlfriend named Kriszti, so he is always at her house.  His English is good, but he can be very shy.  He is also quite a hooligan.  Benji can make everybody laugh, because he has a goofy sense of humor.




Kriszti: Benji's girlfriend; also in high school.  Her English is good as well, but she is not around as much as the others.  She went with Benji, Dominik, and I to the Szeged zoo.  The Szalóky's treat her as part of the family; she fits right in.



Dominik "Dodo": my 6 year old host brother.  He is one of my students in the Ovóda (kindergarten).  In the kindergarten, he pays more attention to his friends than to me.  But, when we get home, he takes me by the hand and says, “Come, Sarah!” … leads me up to his room and then we build Lego castles or play card games.  Sometimes, I feel like I am his dog and that the English just translates as "woof woof" to him.  Dodo is too shy to speak English in the kindergarten, but when he gets home, he is pretty vocal! 




Bennet:  my 2.5 year old host….nephew??  He is Jenni’s son.  Sweet little face.  He loves Mickey Mouse and getting into trouble.



Mama: Mónika's mother.  She is over at the house almost every day.  She helps by making meals or cleaning the house.  She always tries to speak with me.  Every day, we understand each other a little bit more.  Mama is delightful–she makes me feel loved like I am her granddaughter, too.  She also drinks beer like a champ– who woulda thunk it.


Mama making Palancsinta (pancake).




This is the core group and as you can see, it is mostly host family.  Yes, my family is HUGE and I LOVE it.  I have had the most laughs with the individuals pictured above.  

And this is where we live...


Across from this massive, beautiful church...





I'm very lucky to be where I am... bust mostly, I am very lucky to be with who I am with.

Stay tuned for the next update on my internship at Kipp Kopp Ovóda, otherwise known as "kindergarten."

Egészségedre!








No comments:

Post a Comment