Like today, he just strolls into my room butt-naked (after swimming) and shows me a box of paints. He then starts spouting off in Hungarian because he wants me to either A) paint on his body, B) paint on paper downstairs, or C) eat the paint.
At the time, I really had no idea what he wanted. So, I tell him (in English) that I need to change out of my pajamas. Of course, when Dodo actually wants to learn English, he just repeats everything I say.
Me: I need to change.At this point, he looks pretty confused, so I walk over to my dresser and pull out jeans to show him what I mean. Then, I shoo him out of my room so I can put clothes on. Thirty seconds later, he charges back into the room, this time equipped with cartoon underwear. At least he has style.
Dodo: I need change.
Me: No, Dodo. I need to change.
Dodo: I need to change.
Then, I decide that maybe changing clothes in the bathroom is a better idea with Dodo McPeeper around. Soooo I do, but once I emerge from the bathroom, he becomes Dodo McCreeper because there is a random toy I have never seen before placed methodically in the door frame to my bedroom. But, no sign of Dodo.......what the what.
A-like so...
Later, Jenni and I went for a walk while taking Beni in a stroller. (The stroller was equipped with two beers). This is a bit of what we saw:
Area where the boats are stored in the winter.
People grilling out and fishing.
A fence-climbing goat.
We also saw many cats and dogs; those pictures will come later. After a couple hours of walking, Jenni and I decided to flea from the mosquitoes and walk a little bite further to Mámá's house.
Mámá's house from the street.
Now, I wasn't kidding about Mámá's reputation as a party animal. She has a healthy, college-student dose of Pálinka every night before bed.
Pálinka is considered a Hungarian specialty–fruit brandy. It can contain anywhere from 37.5% to 86% alcohol. The typical recipe has 60% alcohol. So yes, it is very strong.
Lots of Pálinka in a restaurant called Gringo's from the other night–went there with four other interns, including AIESEC US's very own, Kiandra Brady.
When I first tried Pálinka, I hated it. I am a beer girl. You don't really see me with liquor. But tonight was a different night. As soon as we entered the house, Mámá offered me a beer, but I declined. Then, she offered homemade blackberry Pálinka. It would have been rude of me to reject a second offer, so I caved in and said "itsy bitsy!"
This Pálinka did not burn as much as the first two ones I tried. Jenni explained that homemade Pálinka was like that. I did not understand how I did not know this information before. It has been a terror to see the looks on everyone's faces, young to old, when I tell them I hate their national drink. Now, I can honestly say that I like it.
There it is in its homemade glory.
Mámá then gave me a tour and talked about her family's history.
The stairs lead up to Mónika's childhood room.
A really neat tree in Mámá's back yard.
The tour ended on the upstairs patio when we tried to find her dog, Bitsy. As we walked up the spiral stairs to the patio, Jenni told me that Bitsy likes to climb on the roof. In my head, I thought it was impossible. Boy, was I wrong...
There she is, right at the top.
Yeah, the dog climbs roofs. Actually, if you refer back to the first picture of the house, you will see Bitsy's silhouette on the top right portion of the roof. She is a daredevil. I can only imagine her sitting on the roof right now and howling at the moon.
The events in my life right now... I can't wrap my head around it.










No comments:
Post a Comment